The mission of the Friends of Yachats Library is to promote interest in library services, support improvements of library resources and services, and raise funds for special needs beyond the scope of the library budget.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
Sandra Dunn, President
Nancy Lamvik, Secretary
Maggie Marshall, Treasurer
Janet Hickam, Ex Officio Board Member
Janet Rackleff, Ex Officio Board Member
In support of the Yachats Community Library, the Friends main fundraising event is the annual book sale. The Friends accept books and audio/video material donated by the public. Such high volumes of books are sold that the Friends of Yachats Library raise over $5,000 per year.
Friends of Yachats Library provide many additions to the Yachats Public Library with up to $10,000 received by the Trust Management Services grant. This grant is requested and received every other year. A grant is also received by the State Library for the kids Summer Reading Program. Grant money, FOL fundraising, and donations go towards much-needed items such as:
- DVD educational materials for homeschool children
- audiobooks for pre-school age children
- subscriptions to the Portland and The Oregonian newspapers
- library shelving
- large print books and materials
- books for Storytime readers
- bike racks
- outside locked community information cabinet
- patron seating – furniture
- computers, desks, and chairs for public access
- circulation laptop
- rug for kids’ room
- librarian closet in kids’ room
- construction cost of making one restroom into a book storage area
- books for the kids’ summer, pre-school and homeschool programs
- and more….
- annual subscription for large print books and books on CDs
- kids’ magazine: National Graphic KIDS
- annual volunteer appreciation and volunteer gifts
- support summer reading programs
Revenue is also received and gifted to the Yachats Public Library by an online bookstore presence on eBay.